Works within a road reserve

When IS consent required?

Under the Roads Act 1993, Cessnock City Council is the authority that assesses applications for works within the road reserve. 

Please read the Submission Matrix(PDF, 164KB) and lodge your application online if your works involve:

Vehicle access crossing

  • driveways
  • access

Erection of structure

  • fixed furniture
  • hoarding or scaffold
  • some signs*

*for vineyard maps and fingerboard signs, please contact our customer service team.

Road opening

  • digging up the road surface
  • laying underground pipes
  • under boring
  • tapping into water mains
  • laying sewer or stormwater pipes

Construction works

  • footpaths or cycle ways
  • extending or constructing a lane, or widening road shoulders
  • kerb and gutter, pits, lintels, or drainage infrastructure
  • retaining structures

Construction activities

  • loading and unloading using mobile plant
  • concrete pumps and agitators
  • swinging a hoist or crane over the road reserve

If your works are to be carried out on a state road, you may need a permit from RMS before applying for a permit from Council. 

Consent is NOT required:

  • When all works, including loading and unloading of machinery such as backhoes, cranes or concrete trucks is carried out wholly within the boundaries of a private property.

Make an application 

To apply for works within a road reserve, you need to:

Working to our requirements

Your work must be in accordance with the Roads Act 1993 (NSW), Council's Engineering Requirements for Development and relevant Standard Drawings.

Inspecting your work

For construction of a vehicle access crossing and drainage connections works, you'll need to book an inspection with Council. To organise an inspection, please call our Customer Relations team on 02 4993 4100.

Reviewing your application

We'll take approximately 10 days to review your application. We will contact you by email or post to advise the outcome of your application.