Safety of community and staff paramount
Published on 16 March 2020
The safety of community and staff is a priority for Cessnock City Council in relation to COVID-19 (novel coronavirus).
As the situation continues to change Council will monitor and respond to any potential impacts on services provided by Council.
Council is following relevant advice from Federal and State Health Departments. As a result of NSW Health’s announcement a number of local events have been cancelled or postponed.
- the Newcastle Writers Festival
- events planned as part of Youth Week 2020
- a number of shows at the Cessnock Performing Arts Centre
- a number of activities and events at the Cessnock and Kurri Kurri Libraries.
- upcoming community drop-in sessions as part of the exhibition of the Draft 2020-25 Waste and Resource Recovery Strategy
Council’s General Manager, Lotta Jackson said as a community we need to work together.
“We must follow the advice from NSW Health and the Federal Government. We all have a role to play. This includes not panic buying or removing toilet paper from community facilities for your own consumption. We’re encouraging people to shop locally, rather than leaving the area.”
“Council staff will be meeting daily to discuss the latest developments and allow for us to respond quickly if required.”
For more information visit NSW Health website or the Federal Government Health website. Browse Council's website for more information on events, or visit the Cessnock Performing Arts Centre website or the Cessnock City Library Facebook page.