Cessnock CBD to Bridges Hill Park - Shared Pathways Project
- Project typeShared pathway design and construction
- Project value$1.5m
- Project scheduleMay 2021 - June 2023
13 April 2023
The concrete shared pathway for the full scope of works is now 75% complete. The Yango Street section of works is being finalised with line markings on carpark and turfing nature strips. The Quarrybylong Street section of shared path construction is commencing mid-April 2023 and aiming to complete by June 2023. Dowlan Lane between Cumberland and Victoria Streets Shared Zone design is completed and Transport for NSW approval is underway.
In June 2016, Council adopted the Cessnock Cycling Strategy as the long term strategy for developing cycle friendly facilities in the Cessnock LGA. The aim of the Strategy is to assist in achieving the desired outcomes of the Cessnock 2023 Community Strategic Plan.
In October 2020, Council received more than $1.5 million from the NSW Government under the Active Transport Grant to help deliver the Cessnock CBD to Bridges Hill Park – Shared Pathways Project.
The project will provide a safe passage for both pedestrians and cyclists looping Cessnock CBD, connecting to 2 public schools, a youth outreach centre, 3 sporting complexes, and a major community recreational park, culminating in a highly beneficial and desirable walking and cycling facility.
This project forms part of Council's Operational Plan. You can find it within the Operational Plan with the Project ID CPW 2021 017.
The pathway will connect Cessnock CBD to Bridges Hill Park (per the below map) and involve works along:
- Cumberland Street – West side of road
- Bridges Street – North side of road
- Mayfield Street – West side of road
- Aberdare Road – North side of road to Cessnock Public School, then south side of road to Cessnock High School
- Quarrybylong Street – East side of road until Northcote Street then west side of road
- Victoria Street – West side of road
- Millfield Street – North side of road
- Koree Street – North side of road
- Dowlan Lane – Shared zone(PDF, 1MB)
Updated 8 December 2022
The concrete shared pathway for the full scope of works is now 50% complete. The Yango Street section of works is currently in progress which includes on-street angled car parking. The designs for Quarrybylong Street and Dowlan Lane between Cumberland and Victoria Streets are now complete. Quarrybylong Street construction commencement is scheduled for early 2023. Transport for NSW approval for Dowlan Lane is underway.
The section of Dowlan Lane between Victoria and Koree Streets forms part of the Bridges Hill to Wine Country Drive Project – CPW 2022 004.
Before and after
Council has received more than $1.5 million under the NSW Government's Active Transport Grant to help deliver this project.
Scope of work
The current proposed works include:
- Investigation, survey and detailed design
- Construction of more than 3km of 2.5m wide shared pathway
- Construction of pedestrian refuges and a shared zone
Quarrybylong Street, Cessnock 2325 View Map