Neighbourhood complaints

Before reporting a neighbourhood concern to Cessnock City Council, you should talk to your neighbour. They may not realise that something is bothering you.

What we do

Complaints are managed in accordance with our Compliance and Enforcement Policy.(PDF, 593KB)

Council may not be the appropriate authority to investigate your complaint or we may determine that the matter should be settled privately.

If that's the case, we'll provide you with alternative options to help resolve the issue.

Making a complaint

When making a complaint, provide as much details as possible:

  • a detailed description of the issue
  • the history of the issue (dates and times)
  • the people involved
  • the source or the address of the issue
  • how the issue is affecting you
  • how you've tried to resolve the issue

You can also attach supporting material such as photos, records or documentation.

Lodging a complaint

Complaints can be lodged on our eServices portal, via email at or by phoning our customer service team.

Anonymous complaints can be accepted, however it's difficult for us to investigate allegations and seek additional information if we cannot contact you.  

We keep your details confidential in accordance with the Privacy & Personal Information Protection Act 1998.