Road closures due to flooding
Last updated: 4pm Monday 8 August 2022
As soon as Council is advised of road closures or re-openings this page is updated and the time stamp is changed. This is the most current information available.
The following roads are closed due to flooding (please note, some of these roads are open for resident access ONLY):
To view these closures on a map, visit Council's Disaster Dashboard.
The following roads have been reopened:
- Tuckers Lane Rothbury
- Ekerts Road, Pokolbin
- Cedar Creek Road, Cedar Creek
- Congewai Road, Congewai
- Milsons Arm Road
- Great North Road, Laguna
- Great North Road, Bucketty
- Cessnock Road at Testers Hollow
- Old North Road, Rothbury
- Sawpit Road, Cedar Creek
- Broke Road, Pokolbin
- Wollombi Road, Wollombi
- Payne’s Crossing road, Wollombi (at Williams Bridge)
- Thursby’s Road, Congewai (at Thursby’s Bridge)
- O'Connor's Road, Nulkaba
- Alexandra Street, Kurri Kurri, near Railway Parade intersection
- Elderslie Road, Branxton
- Neath Road, Kearsley
- George Downes Drive, Bucketty (MR590 between Bucketty Private Rd 3 & 4 road)
- Oliver Street, Cessnock
- Richmond Vale Road, Richmond Vale
- Wollombi Road, Millfield, near Hayes Road
- Wills Hills Road, Pokolbin
- Wilderness Road, Pokolbin
- Metcalfe Lane, Sawyers Gully
- Sawyers Gully Road, Sawyers Gully
- McDonalds Road, Pokolbin, from Deasys Road to Wine Country Drive
- Ellalong Road, Ellalong
- Akira Avenue, Cessnock
- Alipine Avenue, Cessnock
- Hermitage Road, Pokolbin
- Lomas Lane, Nulkaba (at bridge)
- George Booth Drive, Buchanan
- Neath Road, Neath and Kearsley
- Sanctuary Road Ellalong/Paxton
- Quorrobolong Road, Cessnock/Kitchener
- Lovedale Road, Lovedale
- Abernethy Road, Abernethy
- Robina Way, Cessnock
- Sandy Creek Road between Quorrobolong Road and Ellalong
- Pangari Parade, Cessnock
- Millfield Road, Millfield
- Government Road, Cessnock
- Kline Street Bridge, Weston
Mount View Road, Mount View
Fourth Street, Weston, at the bridge
Gillards Road, Pokolbin
De Beyers Road Pokolbin at Col Turnbull Parade
If you need assistance please call the SES: 132 500. In an emergency call 000.
Residents are reminded never to drive through floodwater. Be aware of driving hazards such as mud, debris, damaged roads, fallen trees and branches. If driving conditions are dangerous, safely pull over away from trees, storm drains, low-lying areas and floodwaters.
We have had quite a few calls about bin collections with the current road closures. Council would like to reassure residents that we will revisit these roads and empty the bins as soon we are able to do so.
Sporting ground closures
Last updated 1.30pm Monday August 8 2022
Following a reinspection of Council's grass sporting fields today, East End Oval Cessnock and Margaret Johns Park Kurri Kurri remain closed whilst ALL other grounds are open.
A further announcement will be made on Wednesday 10 August. Risk assessments should be undertaken prior to the use of all grounds.
Cessnock and Branxton Pools are now closed for the season. The pools will reopen over the October long weekend on Saturday 1 October 2022.
The Kurri Kurri Aquatic and Fitness Centre will remain open.
Works and projects
For more information, view our current works and projects.
We make every effort to ensure disruptions to traffic, businesses, pedestrians and residents are minimised during works.