Cessnock City Council operates a weekly kerbside collection service across most of the Cessnock Local Government Area (LGA).
To request a new waste service, please complete the online new waste service application.
Check my next bin collection date
General waste bins
The majority of our general waste bins have a red lid (some older bins may have a dark green lid which are being progressively phased out). The contents of this bin are sent to landfill at Council’s Waste Management Centre.
Items to be placed in your waste bin
- All plastic bags, soft plastics and packaging, wrappers and bubble wrap
- Wire, string, rope, hoses
- All foam packaging
- Nappies, hygiene items and wipes
- Pet waste and kitty litter
- Cigarette butts
- Treated timber
- Laminated paper and stickers
- Old textiles such as clothing, doonas, pillows, etc.
Items NOT to be placed in your waste bin
- Car / household batteries
- Scrap metal
- Car / auto parts
- Gas bottles
- Hot ashes
- Motor oil
- Building materials or concrete
- Garden waste or recyclables
- Hazardous materials (e.g. asbestos, chemicals, paint,)
- Medical waste
Click here for more information about how to dispose of these items safely.
How to ensure your rubbish is collected
- Ensure your bin is at the kerbside by 5.00am the morning of collection and is clear of obstructions. Council isn't obliged to return to collect bins which aren’t out in time. Fleet management systems (including cameras and GPS tracking) fitted in all collection vehicles can verify if the bin was out in time.
- Bins should be spaced at least one metre apart.
- Don't park cars in front of bins. Council will not return to service bins that are obscured by parked vehicles.
- Always ensure that bin lids are closed. Overfilled bins causing lids to remain open won't be emptied.
- Council will only service Council bins that are registered to the property address. Bins from other council areas, other properties, hardware stores, etc will not be serviced by Council.
- Please retrieve your bin from the kerbside as soon as practicable after service.
- Filled bin weight must not exceed 65kg.
Your bins always remain the property of Council for the purpose of garbage disposal. They should not be used for any other purpose or removed from the original property to which it was supplied (serial numbers of bins are recorded in property files).
What if my bin is missed or damaged?
Please phone our customer service team on (02) 4993 4100 to arrange for a bin repair or report a missed collection.
Stolen or vandalised bins should be reported to the Police Assistance Line on 131 444. A Police Incident Report Number is required by Council before a replacement bin can be issued.
Is the size of my waste bin changing?
Council has decided not to change the size of the red lid waste bin. All household bins will remain the same current size (240 litres). When food is included in the Organics lime lid bin, kerbside waste collection frequency will change to fortnightly instead of weekly.
What if I still want my red bin collected each week?
Options will be available for an additional fortnightly waste bin or weekly waste collection for an extra fee. In other areas where the waste service collection is fortnightly only an average of 3% of households take up the weekly or extra bin options. Council is developing these options for residents and will work with individual households to ensure they are getting the most from all the collection services offered.