Boarding houses

Operating a boarding house 

If you want to operate a boarding house, you need to register with NSW Fair Trading and meet minimum standards based on the type of boarding house you're operating.

New boarding houses are subject to an initial compliance inspection by Cessnock City Council.

Detailed information on the regulation of boarding houses can be found on the NSW Fair Trading website. This includes information on the requirements for operators and information for those living in them.