Cessnock City Council has an obligation to protect the privacy of its customers. This Privacy Statement explains how your personal information (being information capable of identifying you as an individual) will be treated as you access and interact with Council.
Council is bound by the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (NSW) (GIPA Act), the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW) (PPIP Act) and the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (NSW) (HRIP Act).
Our Privacy Management Plan(PDF, 545KB) Is designed to introduce policies and procedures to maximise compliance with the PPIP Act and the HRIP Act. In particular, the plan informs the community about how their personal information will be used, stored and accessed after it is collected by us and informs Council staff of their obligations in relation to handling personal information and when they can and cannot disclose, use or collect it.
What is personal information?
Personal information is information or an opinion about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion. This information can be on a database and does not necessarily have to be recorded in a material form.
What is not personal information?
The PPIP Act ceases to cover personal information about an individual that is contained in a publicly available publication. We consider the following to be publicly available publications:
- an advertisement containing personal information in a local, city or national newspaper
- personal information on the internet
- books or magazines printed and distributed broadly to the public
- Council Business papers or that part that is available to the public
- personal information that may be part of a public display on view to the public
Your personal information
Any personal information you provide us may be used:
- for the purpose for which it was collected
- to understand community and customer needs to improve our services
- to let you know about our services or other information available et newsletters
- within other sections of Council, its agents and contractors to expedite services to our customers. The provision of the PPIP Act bind our agents and contractors
We will only disclose your personal information if:
- you have given consent to disclose
- the disclosure is required or permitted by legislation
- where it is necessary to lessen a treat to someone's life or health
Under the PPIP Act, you have the right to access any of your personal information we hold, without excessive delay or expense.
You also have a right to have your personal information corrected, in certain circumstances. If you have any queries about privacy or wish to access or correct your personal information please contact us on (02) 4993 4100 or via email email@example.com .
We will take reasonable care to make sure that your personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. We will also take reasonable care to protect the personal information we hold from misuse, unauthorised access and modification.
To request a review of a Council decision relating to personal or health information, please complete an application for internal review
When you visit our website to read or download information, the following information will be recorded for statistical purposes:
- your server's address
- the name of the top level domain from which you access the Internet (for example, .gov, .com, .edu, .org, .au, .nz etc)
- the type of browser you use
- the date and time you accessed this site
- the pages you accessed and the documents you downloaded
- the previous Internet address from which you linked directly to this site
- the Internet address to which you link directly from this site
How do we use the information collected?
The information collected during each visit is used to create summary statistics which allow Council to assess the number of visitors to the different sections of our sites, discover what information is most and least used, determine technical design specifications, and help make our sites more useful to visitors.
Is the information stored securely?
Yes. Information collected is stored in a secure format and held for archival purpose. If the information is no longer required for its intended purpose, it will be disposed of in accordance with General Authority 45 as issued under the State Records Act 1998 (NSW).
Other Important Information
- We track the pattern of visitor usage using a facility called a cookie. This cookie identifies and recognises the computer (but not the person using the computer) when you visit Council's website.
- Cookies are pieces of information that a website can transfer to an individual's computer hard drive for record keeping.
Links to other websites
- Our website contains links to other websites. These linked sites are not under the control of Council.
- We are not responsible for the management or protection of any personal information you provide to these sites.
- Before you disclose personal information on any other website we recommend you examine the terms and conditions of using that website.
- We take all reasonable steps to protect the privacy of children.
- We asks that children under the age of 18 have a parent or guardian submit personal information on their behalf when required.
Contacting by email
We will only record your email address if you choose to send a email. The address is only used for the purpose for which you have provided and is not added to any mailing list. We will not use your email address for any other purpose, and will not disclose it without your consent.
Changes to this statement
We will occasionally update this privacy statement. When it is updated Council will revise the 'last updated' date at the top of the statement.
If you feel that we have not adequately protected your privacy, please contact Council’s Privacy Officer on 4993 4100 or via firstname.lastname@example.org . The Privacy Officer will assist in addressing your concerns.
Should you still be dissatisfied, you may contact the Information & Privacy Commission NSW. You will need to complete the Privacy Internal Review form and lodge it with us or the Commission. More details regarding privacy can be found on the IPC's website and in particular handling privacy complaints.
We reserve copyright on our publications.
The content of this site is copyright. Apart from any use permitted under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth), no part of any such content may be reproduced, modified, adapted or published in any way for any commercial purposes whatsoever.
Requests and enquiries concerning reproduction and copyright should be addressed in writing to:
Cessnock City Council
PO Box 152
CESSNOCK NSW 2325
We have no control over the content of material accessible on any site cross-referenced. It accordingly is the responsibility of the internet user to make their own decisions about the relevance or accuracy, currency and reliability of information found on other sites.
In addition, we do not necessarily endorse or support the views, opinions, standards or information expressed at linked sites. They have been set up as information sources only.
We are committed to quality service and we make every attempt to ensure accuracy, currency and reliability of the data contained in these documents. However changes in circumstances after time of publication may impact the quality of this information. It is the user's responsibility to make their own decisions about the correctness of information found.
The Information and Privacy Commission provides information further about privacy through the following fact sheets:
The PPIP Code of Practice for Local Government - This Privacy Code of Practice is made under Part 3 Division 1 of the PPIP Act. The effect of this Code is to modify:
- The Information Protection Principles contained in Part 2, Division 1 of the PPIPA; and
- The provisions of Part 6 of the PPIPA Act, as they relate to Local Government.
How to contact
If you have any questions please contact us or telephone our customer service team on (02) 4993 4100. Other information can be obtained from the NSW information and Privacy Commission.
Information and Privacy Commission contact details
- NSW Information Commissioner – Elizabeth Tydd
- NSW Privacy Commissioner – Samantha Gavel
GPO Box 7011, Sydney NSW 2001
Level 11, 201 Elizabeth Street, Sydney NSW 2000
1800 472 679