Four waste vouchers are issued each financial year to all residential properties that receive a domestic waste service. Vouchers are attached to the first rates notice issued in July each year.
Vouchers are sent out with the Council rates notice as they are funded from the Domestic Waste Management Charge paid by the property owner. Renters are encouraged to request vouchers from their landlord/property manager.
Each voucher is printed with a unique barcode and the property address. Proof of address (e.g. rates notice, driver’s licence or utilities bill) matching that on the voucher is required for use.
Conditions of use
- Vouchers are only valid for use at the Cessnock Waste Management Centre
- Vouchers can only be used for domestic household waste
- Each voucher can be used to dispose of up to 500kg of household waste
- Loads over 500kg require additional vouchers or will be charged in accordance with Council's Fees and Charges
- Vouchers cannot be used for disposing of mattresses, tyres or special waste such as asbestos
- Vouchers are valid for 12 months
- Vouchers must be presented at the time of disposal along with proof of address
- Replacement vouchers will not be issued under any circumstances
Please note: Resale of vouchers may result in the voucher being rendered void. The voucher system is designed to assist residents manage their domestic waste disposal responsibly. Abuse of this service, such as on-selling, may result in the system being withdrawn.
Commercial waste services cannot use the vouchers unless they are a Council approved business doing so on behalf of a resident who has applied for special provision based on age and/or disability. Find out more below.
Waste voucher use by elderly and disabled residents
Council has developed a process for elderly and disabled residents to pay an Approved Business to dispose of their bulk waste at Cessnock Waste Management Centre with the use of their annual waste vouchers.
The disposal fee is covered for up to 500kg of approved waste per voucher. The agreement/cost for removal and transport of waste is between the business and the voucher holder, Council hold no liability for the service, insurance or cost involved in the transaction.
Who is eligible to apply?
- A holder of a Disabled or Aged Pension card residing at the address listed on the voucher
- A resident of a Council approved Blue Disc waste service residence that matches the voucher
Voucher holder conditions
- Either be the property owner or resident of the address listed on the voucher
- Nominate a Council approved business at the time of application to dispose of the waste on their behalf
- Nominate the voucher number at the time of application
- Surrender the nominated voucher to their nominated business when the waste is collected from the property
- Include in the application a description of the waste to be collected e.g. old furniture, tree prunings etc.
- Ensure that all waste is source separated e.g. recyclables, mixed waste, metals, large organics etc.
- One voucher is valid for 500kg. Any difference must be paid at the time of transaction by the nominated business or charged to the business account if applicable. No invoices will be raised for non-account holders.
- No grass clippings will be accepted. These are to be disposed of via the lime lid organics bin.
- The agreement to dispose of waste is between the business and the voucher holder. Council holds no liability for the service, insurance or cost involved in the transaction.
- Misuse or fraud of the system by either the resident or business may result in further applications being declined.
- Be registered with an ABN
- Have a vehicle suitable to access the Transfer Station (access to the tip face will not be available when using a voucher) - Maximum size is 10m long x 3.2m wide.
- Complete online application form
- Agree to follow all site conditions and directions of CWMC staff
- Agree that, if approved, your business details will be published on Council's website and other Council publications e.g. flyers so the public can contact your business to engage your services
- Acknowledge that Council holds no liability with any agreements or business interactions between the voucher holder and your business, including but not limited to payment or insurance.
Onsite conditions for an Approved Business:
- You must be an approved business to transport waste on behalf of an eligible voucher holder
- The approved/nominated business must follow all voucher, site conditions and directions of waste center staff
- All waste must be source separated e.g. recyclables, mixed waste, metals, large organics in a vehicle that is suitable to access the transfer station (no access to tip face) and hand unloaded (no tipping)
- No grass clipping will be accepted as these should be disposed of via the kerbside organics bin
- Residents approval letter and original voucher must be presented to staff when entering the site
- One voucher is valid for 500kg and difference must be paid at the time of transaction by business account
- The agreement to dispose of waste is between the business and the voucher holder - Council holds no liability for the service or cost involved in the transaction.
List of approved businesses
|All Purpose Earthworks
||0459 905 217
|Allira House Inc
||0421 558 827
|Barrier Home Improvements
||0426 254 300
|Bigg Daddy Industries
||0428 548 780
|Cam Property Maintenance Hunter Valley
||0473 508 359
||0423 409 067
|Coalfields Small Engine Repairs
||0431 648 932
|Cuttin' Edge Lawn Maintenance
||0423 431 049
|Ed's Property Maintenance
||0419 444 005
|Elly's Property Services
||0449 223 675
|Iron Bark Services
||0400 788 020
|M&M Home Maintenance
||0466 044 876
| Peter David Oliveira
||0421 123 166
| Greenline Grass and Landcare Services
|| Mark Josephson
||0410 632 322
| Running Repairs Handyman Services
|| Ross Timbs
||0402 109 423
Click here for elderly and disabled resident waste voucher forms.
- Eligible residents can apply for this provision here
- Commercial operators can apply to become an Approved Business here
If you have any questions about the use of annual waste vouchers, please contact Council's Customer Relations team on 02 4993 4100.
Why don't Council offer kerbside bulk waste collection?
Modelling undertaken in the last couple of years estimated that providing kerbside bulk waste collection across the Cessnock LGA would increase the Domestic Waste Management charge by approximately $120 per year. Community consultation on bulk waste service options, undertaken most recently in 2019, resulted in 56% of respondents preferring the voucher system to a kerbside bulk waste collection option.