To ensure the well-being of Council staff and the community, all planned community drop-in sessions for the Draft 2020-25 Waste & Resource Strategy have been cancelled.
The aim of the Draft 2020-25 Waste and Resource Recovery Strategy is to provide a sustainable cost effective waste service to the Cessnock community, while prioritising waste minimisation and complying with environmental, safety and legislative obligations. The Strategy provides a clear direction for the management of waste during the next five year period and a pathway for the future.
The main objectives of the Strategy are to:
- increase waste diversion from landfill through greater resource recovery
- change community waste generation and disposal behaviours by encouraging waste avoidance and a circular economy
- reduce litter and illegal dumping in our bushland areas
- improve services to manage problem wastes
- deliver efficient waste services to the community