PLANNING ON BUILDING? If you’re planning to carry out building and development works within the Cessnock LGA, you will generally need consent from Council before you begin. There are certain types of development that don’t require consent and these works are referred to as ‘exempt’ development. It’s best to check with Council though, as the criteria for this can be found in a range of development controls and fines can apply if you don’t comply. There is lots of useful information on Council’s website, including an overview of the development approval process. Simply visit planning-and-development. WE’RE HERE TO HELP! We understand the process of building your dream home can be a little daunting, but the dedicated team at Cessnock City Council are on hand to help with the process. If you have a question about Development Applications and Construction Certificates, contact Council’s Customer Service team, or the relevant assessment officer responsible for the application. WHAT CAN I DO WITH MY LAND? Depending on what you’d like to do, changing the use of your land may require a change in the zone that applies to the land. This will depend on whether the proposed use is permissible or prohibited under the zone. Decisions about development in the Cessnock LGA are influenced by state and local planning legislation, strategies and policies. If you have any questions, Council’s Strategic Land Use Planners are available to answer enquiries concerning land use permissibility and strategic planning matters. P L A N & B U I L D NEW RESIDENTS GUIDE 27 Duty Planner 9am to 5pm weekdays. Duty Building Surveyor 9am to 10am and 1pm to 5pm weekdays. MEET WITH OUR DUTY OFFICERS