Expressions of Interest – Alternate Member Hunter and Central Coast Regional Planning Panel (RPP)
Reference Number: E1819-89
Cessnock City Council is seeking Expressions of Interest to nominate as alternate members for the Hunter and Central Coast Regional Planning Panel (RPP), to represent the Cessnock Local Government Area (refer to LGA Boundary Map), where an appointed member has declared a conflict of interest.
Planning Panels are independent, expert bodies introduced in NSW in 2009 to strengthen decision making on regionally significant development applications and undertake rezoning reviews, as well as providing advice on planning or development matters when requested. The term of the contract is for three (3) years from date of appointment.
Regional panel members are appointed based on their expertise in either planning, architecture, heritage, the environment, urban design, land economics, traffic and transport, law, engineering, tourism or government and public administration. Together they ensure development decisions are made on technical merits, efficiency, fairness and transparency, with the added benefit of local knowledge.
Nominated members are required to:
- Have expertise in either planning, architecture, heritage, the environment, urban design, land economics, traffic and transport, law, engineering, tourism or government and public administration;
- Have a good working knowledge of relevant state and local government legislation, including the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979; and knowledge/understanding of the planning process, including the assessment of complex developments;
- High level communication skills;
- Be able to work within a team;
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of the planning process and assessment issues;
- Be able to represent and communicate the interests of the local community;
- Commit to attending the Panel meetings and site inspections where required;
- Be able to contribute constructively to the determination of applications;
- Not be a Council Official (i.e. a Councillor or Council staff member; or a spouse, de-facto or same sex partner of the Councillor or Council staff member);
- Be willing to adhere to the Planning Panels Operational Guidelines, Cessnock City Council Code of Conduct and Planning Panels Code of Conduct; and
- Complete a Pecuniary Interest Form (which is available on Council's website).
Whilst it is not essential, Council’s preference is to appoint persons who reside in either the Cessnock LGA or the Hunter Region.
Applicants are required to be aware that pursuant to Section 2.18 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, those ineligible to become planning panel members (and will not be considered) include:
- A councillor of that or any other council; or
- A property developer within the meaning of Section 53 of the Electoral Funding Act 2018 (Noting that Section 53 of the Electoral Funding Act 2018 provides that property developer includes a person who is a close associate of a property developer); and
- A real estate agent within the meaning of the Property, Stock and Business Agents Act 2002.
Consideration, assessment and appointment of applicants is at the sole discretion of Council.
Professional fees will be paid according to the alternate member’s expertise
Janine Maher, Development Services Manager on (02) 4993 4254
25 September 2019
How to Apply
Please refer to the Scope of Works for further information on the responsibilities of the role.
In order to submit an expression of interest for the alternative member of the Hunter and Central Coast Regional Planning Panel (RPP), please submit a completed returnable schedule form to Council.
EOI’s will only be accepted if received by the following methods:
Please lodge via email to email@example.com and address the email subject line as E1819-89 Cessnock City Council Alternative Panel Members for the Hunter and Central Coast Regional Planning Panel or
Please post to the following address:
Cessnock City Council
PO Box 152
Cessnock NSW 2325
Please reference E1819-89 Cessnock City Council Cessnock City Council Alternative Panel Members for the Hunter and Central Coast Regional Planning Panel, in your covering letter.
Submissions must be received at Council prior to 5:00pm on 25 September 2019.