How much plastic is there in your life? Are you trying to go plastic free? Come and listen to Hunter local, Christina Robberds who will reveal some of the secrets to living plastic free at Cessnock City Library next week.Read More
Other Household Waste
Recycling and Waste Directory
Find out how you can correctly dispose of materials for recycling that are not suitable to be placed in your bins in the Recycling and Waste Directory. Please note fees apply to some materials.
Mattress Drop Off
Mattresses take up a lot of space in landfill and they contain valuable materials like steel, timber and foam which can be recycled.
Council holds a free mattress drop off event in Autumn and Spring each year. Mattress drop off dates for 2018 are:
- Saturday 13 October 2018 - Kurri Kurri at the BEC car park on the corner of Barton and Merthyr St Kurri Kurri from 8am to 12 noon
- Cessnock City Council residents only - proof required
- Four mattresses or bases accepted per household per year
- Mattresses will not be accepted prior to 8 am or after 12 noon
- No pedestrian access - vehicles only
- Bulk or commercial quantities will not be accepted
Alternatively mattresses can be taken to the Cessnock Waste Management Centre for disposal for a fee of $32.
Household Chemical CleanOut
The safe way to dispose of potentially hazardous household chemicals is at a Household Chemical CleanOut event. CleanOut is a free service for the safe disposal of a range of household chemicals that could cause harm to human health and the environment if they are not disposed of correctly.
CleanOut events are held at locations throughout NSW. A full list of what can be taken to a Cleanout event and conditions of use are available on the CleanOut website.
The following items require specialist recycling services to recover the metals and chemicals they contain:
- Fluorescent tubes and household light bulbs
- Household batteries
- Mobile phones
- Ink cartridges
You can drop them into one of the FREE Recycling Stations located at:
- Council’s Administration Centre, 62-78 Vincent St, Cessnock
- Kurri Kurri Library, Cnr Lang & Allworth Streets, Kurri Kurri
- Cessnock Library*, 65-67 Vincent St, Cessnock
(*mobile phones no longer accepted at this location)
Electronic waste (or e-waste) can be taken to the Cessnock Waste Management Centre and is free for domestic customers. Ask how to get a discount voucher when you drop materials off at the Community Recycling Centre.
The following electronic equipment is accepted:
- TVs and DVDs
- computers, laptops, monitors and printers
- CD drives, hardrives and cables
Please note: other electrical items are not accepted as electronic waste.
Needles, syringes, lancets and other injection equipment should be disposed of correctly to minimise infection to others in the community.
Find out how to correctly dispose of sharps.
drumMUSTER provides a drop off point for eligible agricultural and veterinary chemical containers at the Cessnock Waste Management Centre. The service is available year round.
To dispose of eligible containers contact Council's Weeds Officers on 4993 4167 to arrange a drop off time.
For more information please visit www.drummuster.com.au or contact Customer Service on 4993 4100.
A number of these project are supported by the a NSW EPA Waste Less, Recycle More initiative funded from the waste levy.