The team at Cessnock Library is excited to launch a book written by late local historian Jack Delaney, Our Letters, The Mail Goes Through, which reveals the rich history of our local post offices.Read More
Waste Management Centres
Council operates two waste management facilities:
Cessnock Waste Management Centre (the Landfill)
- 1967 Old Maitland Road Cessnock
- Waste Weighbridge Phone: 4993 4993
- Open: 7 days a week 8.45am - 4:30pm
- Closed: Christmas Day, Good Friday and Cessnock City Council Picnic Day
NOTE: Cheques will no longer be accepted at the Facility. Eftpos, cash and account transactions available.
Fees and Charges
New fees and charges now apply at the Cessnock Waste Management Centre.
These fees adopt a user pay principle for recyclable materials accepted at the site.
Full fees and charges for mixed and separated loads at the landfill are listed in Fees and Charges.
Please refer to the Waste Centre Fees and Charges fact sheet for more information on the new fee structure.
Note: Charges include the NSW State Government Waste Levy of $138.20 / tonne.
Cessnock City Council has taken an all-around approach in reducing the amount of waste going to landfill by providing opportunities for residents to separate goods for reuse, reprocessing and recycling at the Waste Management Centre.
Residents can currently drop off electronic waste, cardboard, commingled recyclables and engine oil without charge.
Differential (lesser rate) pricing apply to source separated loads of:
- Building and demolition materials (i.e. bricks, concrete, tiles)
- Tree and garden vegetation material including grass clippings
- Scrap metal - Please note gas cylinders are not to be dropped off with scrap metal.
The price for the recyclables listed above is $140/tonne. The mixed load rate is currently $350/tonne.
To find out about the redevelopment of the Cessnock Waste and Reuse Centre visit the update page.
Landfill Environmental Monitoring
Cessnock Waste Management Centre (Council's landfill) operates in accordance with an Environment Protection Licence, administered by the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA). The licence requires Council to perform certain environmental monitoring to ensure the landfill is having minimal impact on the environment. To find out more visit landfill environmental monitoring.
Greta Transfer Station
- Hollingshed Street Greta
- Open: Monday, Thursday & Friday 2.00pm - 5.00pm; Saturday 8.00am - 12.00pm and Sunday 1.00pm - 5.00pm
- Closed: Tuesday, Wednesday, Christmas, Good Friday, Cessnock City Council Picnic Day
Accepts household waste only. No bulky goods, mattresses or commercial goods.