Cessnock Waste Management Centre
Cessnock Waste Management Centre (CWMC) is a solid waste landfill that is licensed by the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA).
For you safety enclosed shoes must be worn. Customers that are not wearing enclosed shoes will not be allowed to leave their vehicle or dispose of waste on site.
This page provides details on:
- location and opening hours
- packing your load to make your visit easier
- navigating your way at the Centre
- how much it will cost
- safety on site
- disposing of problem waste at the Community Recycling Centre
About the Centre
- 1967 Old Maitland Road, Cessnock
- Open: 7 days a week 8.45am to 4:30pm
- Closed: Christmas Day, Good Friday and Cessnock City Council Picnic Day
- Phone: 4993 4366 (Please call Customer Service on 4993 4100 for general enquiries)
- Eftpos and cash accepted. Account transactions available for regular users.
Packing your load
To make your trip easier, make sure your trailer or ute is packed to allow the waste to be unloaded easily. For example, garden organics is your first stop, so it would need to be packed last and mixed waste packed first.
It is also important to secure and cover your load and make sure the weight is correctly distributed.
Navigate your way
- All vehicles must now go over the weighbridge to dispose of waste or recyclables at the site
- You will be given a swipe card at the weighbridge that records your transaction
- If you are disposing of mixed waste, you will drive over an internal weighbridge. Wait until you have completely stopped and swipe your card.
- On exit, hand in your swipe card to finalise your transaction
How much does it cost?
Every part of the waste management service whether it is recycling or landfill has a cost component. The most cost effective way to reduce the cost impact is through recycling and diverting material from landfill.
In NSW waste facilities are licenced by the NSW Environmental Protection Authority (EPA). As part of this licence:
- Council must pay the NSW State Waste Levy of $143.60 for every tonne received.
- All waste must be recorded via a weighbridge (providing accurate records and recording both waste and recyclables) and a monthly report provided to the EPA.
- Councils current levy contribution is in the order of $6 million per year.
Minimum charges for the site for 2019/20 are:
- $3 for recyclable and recoverable materials (excluding problem waste)
- $10 for mixed, special and commercial waste
Fees and charges at the site for 2019/20 are:
|Type of waste||Charge per tonne||Minimum charge|
|Garden organics - including grass clippings||$140||$3|
|Oversized trees and stumps||$370||$10|
|Concrete and bricks - domestic||$140||$3|
|Concrete and bricks - commercial||$415||$10|
|Cardboard and commingled recyclables||$140||$3|
|Electronic waste - domestic||No charge|
|Electronic waste - commercial||$140||$10|
|Motor oil||No charge|
|Special waste - including asbestos||$415||$10|
Tyres (household quantities only - commercial quantities not accepted)
|$7 to $52|
|Deceased animals||$13 to $99|
Full fees and charges for mixed and separated loads at the landfill are listed in Fees and Charges.
Note: Charges include the NSW State Government Waste Levy of $143.60 / tonne.
CWMC operates in accordance with an Environment Protection Licence, administered by the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA). The licence requires Council to perform certain environmental monitoring to ensure the landfill is having minimal impact on the environment. To find out more visit landfill environmental monitoring.
Safety on site
Safety procedures are in place for your protection and must be adhered to at all times.
- Obey speed limits, signs and staff instructions
- Enclosed footwear must be worn
- Keep children and pets inside your vehicle
- No smoking on site
Problem waste at the Community Recycling Centre
The Community Recycling Centre, located at the Cessnock Waste Management Centre, provides the community with a safe way to dispose of household waste, free of charge. The following items are accepted in household quantities:
- paint, oil and water-based (in liquid form only)
- gas cylinders
- fire extinguishers
- electronic waste
- fluorescent light globes and tubes
- car batteries
- household batteries
- motor oils
- other oils
- smoke detectors.
Greta Transfer Station
- Accepts household waste only. No bulky goods, mattresses or commercial goods.
- Hollingshed Street, Greta
- Open: Monday, Thursday & Friday 2.00pm - 5.00pm; Saturday 8.00am - 12.00pm and Sunday 1.00pm - 5.00pm
- Closed: Tuesday, Wednesday, Christmas, Good Friday, Cessnock City Council Picnic Day
Fees and charges for Greta Transfer Station are:
|Mobile garbage bin||$28|
|Cars, station wagons||$32|
|Utes, box trailer, light commercial vans||$79|
Waste vouchers cannot be used at Greta Transfer Station.