Cessnock Waste Management Centre
The redeveloped Cessnock Waste Management Centre (CWMC) is now open.
The Centre delivers a modern, safer and more convenient facility for residents.
The facility features:
- A series of drop off areas for disposal of different recyclable materials including garden organics, bricks and concrete, metal items, mattresses, e-waste , paints, oils and batteries.
- Ease of one way traffic flow with slip lanes around individual drop off areas.
- Sealed, undercover load/unload area.
separate road network for operational vehicles.
How much does it cost?
Every part of the waste management service whether it is recycling or landfill has a cost component that applies to all rate payers. The most cost effective way to reduce the cost impact is through recycling and diverting material from landfill.
In NSW waste facilities are licenced by the NSW Environmental Protection Authority (EPA). As part of this licence:
- Council must pay the NSW State Waste Levy of $138.20 for every tonne received.
- Every tonne must be recorded via a weighbridge (providing accurate records and recording both waste and recyclables).
monthly return must be provided to the EPA of tonnes received (from weighbridge
Councils current levy contribution is in the order of $6.8 million per year. The redeveloped site provides increased opportunities for material to be recycled or diverted from landfill, which will reduce the current levy charges and conserve landfill space. The weighbridge also ensure we are complying with EPA reporting requirements.
A management fee of $140/tonne applies for most recyclable materials, including garden organics, grass clippings, metal items, commingled recycling, cardboard and concrete and bricks. For more information see table below.
|Type of waste||Charge per tonne|
|Garden organics - including grass clippings||$140|
|Oversized trees and stumps||$350|
|Concrete and bricks - domestic||$140|
|Concrete and bricks - commercial||$170|
|Cardboard and commingled recyclables||$140|
|Electronic waste - domestic||No charge|
|Electronic waste - commercial||$140|
|Motor oil||No charge|
|Special waste - including asbestos||$405|
|Tyres||$7 to $50|
|Deceased animals||$11 to $95|
Full fees and charges for mixed and separated loads at the landfill are listed in Fees and Charges.
Note: Charges include the NSW State Government Waste Levy of $138.20 / tonne.
CWMC operates in accordance with an Environment Protection Licence, administered by the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA). The licence requires Council to perform certain environmental monitoring to ensure the landfill is having minimal impact on the environment. To find out more visit landfill environmental monitoring.
- 1967 Old Maitland Road, Cessnock
- Open: 7 days a week 8.45am to 4:30pm
- Closed: Christmas Day, Good Friday and Cessnock City Council Picnic Day
- Phone: 4993 4993 (Please call Customer Service on 4993 4100 for general enquiries)
- Eftpos, cash and account transactions available. Cheques are not accepted.
Greta Transfer Station
- Accepts household waste only. No bulky goods, mattresses or commercial goods.
- Hollingshed Street, Greta
- Open: Monday, Thursday & Friday 2.00pm - 5.00pm; Saturday 8.00am - 12.00pm and Sunday 1.00pm - 5.00pm
- Closed: Tuesday, Wednesday, Christmas, Good Friday, Cessnock City Council Picnic Day
Fees and charges for Greta Transfer Station are:
|Mobile garbage bin||$26|
|Cars, station wagons||$30|
|Utes, box trailer, light commercial vans||$75|
Waste vouchers cannot be used at Greta Transfer Station.