Cessnock City Council has officially opened Williams Bridge on Paynes Crossing Road, Wollombi following works earlier this year to replace the old structure.Read More
Council operates a kerbside collection service across most of the LGA. There are some areas of the Local Government Area where a service cannot be delivered due to either physical constraints, safety or it is not economically feasible. To find out where and when services are provided click here.
There are some simple guidelines for you to apply when you place your bins out for collection:
- Always ensure that your bin is at the kerbside by 5.00am and is clear of obstructions. Council is not obliged to return to collect bins which aren’t out in time for collection. Fleet management services fitted in vehicles can verify if the bin was out in time.
- On collection night do not park cars in front of bins. Council will not return to service bins that are obscured by parked vehicles. Always ensure that bin lids are closed. Overfilled bins causing lids to open will not be emptied.
- Bins must not contain batteries, hot ashes or motor oil.
- Council will only service Cessnock City Council bins that are registered to the pick up address. Bins from other council areas, other properties, hardware stores, etc will not be serviced by Council.
- Please retrieve your bin as soon as practicable after service.
- Make sure recyclables are placed in the correct bin. On recycling week, bins should be placed at least one metre apart.
- Filled bin weight must not exceed 65kg.
Your bin always remains the property of Council for the purpose of garbage disposal. It must not be used for any other purpose or removed from the original property to which it was supplied. (It has an identification number.) Stolen or vandalised bins must be reported to the Police Assistance Line on 131 444. A Police Incident Report Number is required by Council before a replacement bin can be issued. Damaged bins are repaired free of charge. For enquiries and repairs please phone Council’s Customer Service on 4993 4100.
Alternative Waste Arrangements
For residents outside the waste service area alternate service arrangements are available through a self haul voucher system using the forms below.
4 Waste Vouchers per financial year are issued to all properties where the waste service is provided. Each voucher has a nominal weight of 500kg and can only be used for domestic household waste. Vouchers cannot be used for disposing of mattresses, tyres or hazardous waste items.
Each voucher is given a unique bar code ensuring that tip vouchers cannot be transferred. Resale of vouchers issued may result in the user being identified and the voucher rendered void. The voucher system is designed to assist residents manage their waste disposal responsibly and abuse of this service, such as on-selling, may result in the system being withdrawn.
- Cessnock Waste Management Strategy 2014-19
- Cessnock Waste and Recycling Directory
- Asbestos Waste Disposal Fact Sheet
Waste and Reuse Centre (the Landfill)
1967 Old Maitland Road Cessnock
Waste Weighbridge Phone: 4993 4993
Reuse Centre Phone: 4991 1115
Open: 7 days a week 8.45am - 4:30,
Closed: Christmas Day, Good Friday and Cessnock City Council Picnic Day
Full fees and charges for mixed and separated loads at the landfill are listed in the following document:
- A disposal fee of $27 will apply to Mattresses
- Cheques will no longer be accepted at the Facility. Eftpos, Cash and Account transations available.
Cessnock City Council has taken an all-around approach in reducing the amount of waste going to landfill by providing opportunities for residents to separate goods for reuse, reprocessing and recycling at the Waste and Reuse Centre.
Residents can drop off Electronic Waste, Cardboard, Glass, Lawn Clippings Engine Oil and Scrap Metal without charge. Please note gas cyclinders are not to be dropped off with scrap metal.
Users of the site are required to pass through a screening station manned by contractors from the Reuse Centre located on the site. Materials dropped-off (as requested) do not attract charge. Differential (lesser rate) pricing will apply to source separated loads of:
- Building and demolition materials (i.e. bricks, concrete, tiles)
- Tree and garden vegetation material.
Greta Transfer Station
Accepts household waste only. No bulky goods, mattresses or commercial goods.
Open: Monday, Thursday & Friday 2.00pm - 5.00pm
Saturday 8.00am - 12.00pm
Sunday 1.00pm - 5.00pm
Closed: Tuesday, Wednesday, Christmas, Good Friday, Cessnock City Council Picnic Day