2019 marks the 20th anniversary of Harmony Day and the celebration has now been renamed Harmony Week, recognising diversity and inclusion across the entire week.Read More
Waste and Recycling Services
Council’s Waste Service aims to deliver sustainable waste management and achieve a 66% diversion of waste from landfill. A handy guide to your waste service (with magnets to keep on your fridge) is available from Councils Administration building on request.
Cessnock Waste Management Strategy 2014-19
Council's Waste Management Strategy (Strategy) for 2014-2019 establishes targets and objectives for waste management in Cessnock.
Cessnock Waste Management Centre
The new waste transfer station at the Cessnock Waste Management Centre is now open.
Four Waste Vouchers are issued each financial year to all residential properties that receive a domestic waste service. Vouchers are attached to the first rates notice issued in July each year.
The following conditions of use apply:
- Vouchers are only valid for use at the Cessnock Waste Management Centre.
- Vouchers can only be used for domestic household waste.
- Each voucher can be used to dispose of up to 500 kg of household waste. Loads over 500kg require additional vouchers or will be charges in accordance with our fees and charges.
- Vouchers cannot be used for disposing of mattresses, tyres or special waste such as asbestos.
- Vouchers are valid for 12 months.
- Vouchers must be presented at the time of disposal.
- Replacement vouchers will not be issued under any circumstances.
- Vouchers are sent out with the Council rates notice as they are funded from the Domestic Waste Management Charge. Renters are encouraged to request vouchers from their landlord/property manager.
- Each voucher is given a unique bar code. Resale of vouchers may result in the user being identified and the voucher rendered void. The voucher system is designed to assist residents manage their domestic waste disposal responsibly and abuse of this service, such as on-selling, may result in the system being withdrawn.
- Commercial waste services do not include vouchers.
Alternative Waste Arrangements
For residents outside the waste management service area alternate service arrangements are available through a self haul voucher system using the forms below.
Vouchers are available for General Household waste & Recycling (cardboard & commingled recycling)
Landfill Environment Monitoring and Pollution Incident Response
Cessnock Waste Management Centre (Council's landfill) operates in accordance with an Environment Protection Licence (EPL), administered by the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA). The licence requires Council to have a Pollution Incident Response Management Plan (PIRMP) and perform certain environmental monitoring to ensure the landfill is having minimal impact on the environment.
Details of mandatory environmental monitoring and the PIRMP can be found here.