The Cessnock Local Government Area (LGA) has a significantly higher rate of cardiovascular disease death than the NSW average*. Almost one-third of our adult population has high blood cholesterol which is an important risk factor for heart disease alongside smoking, high blood pressure, obesity and physical inactivity**.
Cessnock City Council has a keen interest in protecting the health of the local community and in reducing the risk factors associated with cardiovascular disease.
The Cessnock LGA Healthier Oils Program was formed in 2010 and is managed by a local working party including representatives from Cessnock City Council, the Heart Foundation NSW, Coalfields Healthy Heartbeat (Samaritans Foundation), Peden’s Hotel and KFC Cessnock.
It is also endorsed by the Cessnock Healthy Lifestyle Network.
The Healthier Oils Program encourages local food businesses to permanently switch to a healthier cooking oil in the interest of heart health and in response to customer demand for healthier food choices. Environmental Health Officers from Cessnock City Council are actively working with local food businesses to make the oil change by providing information, education and incentives.
Oil and fat facts
Oils rich in saturated and trans fats such as animal fats (lard, tallow etc) and cottonseed oil increase the risk of heart disease and stroke by raising blood cholesterol levels. Replacing them with healthier mono and polyunsaturated fats and oils lowers this risk. ‘Hi oleic’ blended vegetable oils in particular are healthy choices yet tend to be stable at high temperatures.
The Heart Foundation recommends that people replace saturated and trans fats in their diet with healthier monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats found in nuts, avocado, oily fish like salmon and tuna and healthier oils like canola, sunflower, soybean, olive, corn and peanut oils.
This will help lower blood cholesterol levels and therefore reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. A useful factsheet is the Heart Foundation’s Healthier Oils Program 'A Guide for Food Outlets'. As a guide, healthier cooking oils should have less than 20% saturated fats and less than 1% trans fats.
Why target food businesses?
Many people do not consider the fact that meals and snacks purchased outside the home may be contributing to their overall saturated and trans fat intake and therefore, their risk of heart disease. ‘Cholesterol free’ oil and some vegetable oils (such as palm and coconut oil) may be high in saturated and/or trans fats, which are harmful to heart health.
The community can ask ‘Is it time for an oil change?’
Community members are also encouraged to support the campaign by requesting their favourite local take-away, café, restaurant, pub or club use healthier cooking oils.
Consumers can pick up an ‘Is it time for an oil change?’ postcard from Cessnock City Council or Samaritans or simply ask the owner or manager what oil they are using next time they visit the outlet.
Many activities have been undertaken for the Healthier Oils Program so far including an Official Launch, dissemination of the ‘Is it time for an oil change?’ postcard, free trial by six local food outlets of a healthier oil, video production, Rover Coaches bus advertisement, certificate presentations and presentation of the program to other Environmental Health Officers at conferences such as the Environmental Health Australia National Conference, Sydney 2015 (and trade display).
For further information on healthier oils please visit the Heart Foundation website or contact Council’s Environmental Health Officers on 02 4993 4100 with any further comments/questions.
* From: www.healthstats.nsw.gov.au Circulatory disease death by LGA, NSW. 2014-2015. Cessnock LGA: 209.4 deaths/100,000 population.
** From: www.atlasesaustralia.com.au/ahpc/data.html Australian Health Policy Collaboration. Australia’s Health Tracker 2017.
Name and Fame! Below is a list of local food outlets participating in the Cessnock LGA Healthier Oils Program:
- Capers Bed & Breakfast - WOLLOMBI
- Cravin' Coffee -KURRI KURRI
- Cessnock Basketball Stadium - CESSNOCK
- Cessnock PCYC - CESSNOCK
- Simply D'vine Cafe - NULKABA
- Ellalong Hotel - ELLALONG
- Wollombi Tavern/Hotel Bar - WOLLOMBI
- Kurri Kurri Aquatics Centre - KURRI KURRI
- Heddon Greta Drive In - HEDDON GRETA
- Stonebridge Golf Club - CESSNOCK
- Paxton Bowling Club - PAXTON
- Ellalong General Store - ELLALONG
- BP Service Station - STANFORD MERTHYR
- Wandin Wine Bar & Diner - LOVEDALE
- Tuk Tuk Thai & Aussie Restaurant - GRETA
- Abermain Hotel - ABERMAIN
- Sammy's @ The Park - EAST BRANXTON
- The Oaks Restaurant - GRETA
- Bellbird Hotel - BELLBIRD
- Panino Restaurant - WOLLOMBI
- Crowne Plaza - Red Salt Restuarant - LOVEDALE
- Mulla Villa Guesthouse - WOLLOMBI
- Amanda's On The Edge - POKOLBIN
- Il Cacciatore Restaurant - POKOLBIN
- Ozzie Bite Take Away - WESTON
- The Crib Box Cafe - BRANXTON
- Yee's Chinese Takeaway - BRANXTON
- Buon Cibo Restaurant - POKOLBIN
- Kearsley Hotel - KEARSLEY
- Laguna Wine Bar & General Store - LAGUNA
- Emerson's Restaurant - LOVEDALE
- Cafe on Cooper - CESSNOCK
- Denman Hotel - ABERMAIN
- Villa du Pays - POKOLBIN
- Bellygood - CESSNOCK
- Twine - POKOLBIN
- Peden's Hotel - CESSNOCK
- Al-Oi Thai - CESSNOCK
- Leaves & Fishes - LOVEDALE
- Neath Hotel - NEATH
- Golden Dragon - KURRI KURRI
- Heddon Greta Hotel - HEDDON GRETA
- Criterion Hotel - WESTON
- Royal Oak Hotel - CESSNOCK
- The Railway Hotel - CESSNOCK
- Hong Sing Restaurant - CESSNOCK
- Harrigan's Irish Pub - POKOLBIN
- Restaurant Cuvee - POKOLBIN
- Muse Restaurant & Cafe - POKOLBIN
- Branxton Fish & Chips - BRANXTON
- Gourmet Pizza - CESSNOCK
- Suzie's - HEDDON GRETA
- The Right Bite At Weston - WESTON
- Leonie's Burgers & Seafood - CESSNOCK
- May & Seng Chinese Takeaway - HEDDON GRETA
- West End Takeaway - CESSNOCK
- The Coffee Club - CESSNOCK
- Peterson's Champagne House - Oyster Bar - POKOLBIN
- Epicure Cafe - POKOLBIN
- Grinders Expresso Bar & Flowers - CESSNOCK
- Diamond Coffee & Kebabs - CESSNOCK
- The Nock (Espresso Bar) - CESSNOCK
- Taste of the Country - POKOLBIN
- The Garden Terrace - POKOLBIN
- Royal Federal Hotel - BRANXTON
- Chelmsford Hotel - KURRI KURRI
- Indian @ Hunter - CESSNOCK
- Golden Sing Chinese Restaurant - KURRI KURRI
- Blue Thai Restaurant - CESSNOCK
- Cypress Lakes Resort - POKOLBIN
- Pipette Restaurant - POKOLBIN
- Esca Restaurant - POKOLBIN
- Blue Thai Kitchen - BRANXTON
- The Deck Cafe - LOVEDALE
- Millfield AutoPort & General Store - MILLFIELD
- Crowne Plaza - Lovedale Kitchen & Bar - LOVEDALE
- The Lazy Chook - CESSNOCK
- Oishii Japanese & Thai Restaurant - POKOLBIN
- Elements Bar & Dining - POKOLBIN
- Two Fat Blokes Gourmet Kitchen - POKOLBIN
- Bodega Bar & Grill - Cypress Lakes Resort - POKOLBIN
- Hope Estate - Great Cask Hall - POKOLBIN
- Regal Kurri Kurri Hotel - KURRI KURRI
- Abermain Bowling Club - ABERMAIN
- Hunters Quarters - POKOLBIN
- Daniel's - CESSNOCK
- Boney's Cafe - POKOLBIN
- The Mine Shaft Restaurant - CESSNOCK
- Kurri Kurri Bowling Club - STANFORD MERTHYR
- Cafe Wollombi - WOLLOMBI
- Miner's Lamp - Weston District Workers Club - WESTON
- Shakey Tables Restaurant - ROTHBURY
- Legends Restaurant and Bar - TROTHBURY
- Blaxlands Barn Restaurant - POKOLBIN
- Cafe Enzo - POKOLBIN
- Pig Out Takeaway - CESSNOCK
- Potters Tavern - NULKABA