Cessnock City Council, Maitland City Council and Singleton Council are excited to launch the kerbside garden organics collection service which starts from Monday 6 March 2017.Read More
Why do we have food labels?
Food labels provide information to help make healthier and safer food choices. Labelling requirements are enforced by Local and State Authorities.
Labels can provide information to:
- Tell us which nutrients, and in what amounts, are in a product
- Warn us if a food contains food allergens
- Inform us if the food is fresh or out of date
- Explain how to store, prepare or cook the food we buy
- List product ingredients
- Give us information on where the food was produced and by which company
Food labelling is important for the above mentioned reasons. Cessnock Council's Environmental Health Officers actively review labelling as a component of their food safety inspections of retail food outlets ensuring this important information is clearly displayed.
For more detailed information please view the NSW Food Authority brochure Food Labels or visit the NSW Food Authority website http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/consumers/food-labels/