Illegal Dumping and Litter
Illegal waste dumping
Illegal dumping is the depositing – dumping, tipping or otherwise – of waste larger than litter onto land or into water. Illegal dumping varies from small bags of rubbish in an urban environment to larger scale dumping of waste materials in isolated areas, such as bushland.
The Hunter/Central Coast Regional Illegal Dumping (RID) squad was established in 2014 to reduce the costs of illegal dumping and build capacity within the region. The Hunter/Central Coast RID Squad covers a wide geographical area including Cessnock local government area and works with other public land managers in the region to combat illegal dumping.
Reporting Illegal Dumping
Illegal dumping of waste is a serious offence. By reporting illegal dumping you can help prevent damage to the environment and reduce risks to human health. Dumpers face heavy fines and repeat offenders can be sentenced to prison.
If the dumped waste poses a risk to the environment or to human health, or if the waste has been dumped in water, call the Environment Line on 131 555.
If it appears there is no immediate risk to the environment or to human health:
- for smaller incidents, e.g. one or two trailer loads of dumped waste, contact council on 4993 4100
- for larger incidents, e.g. more than two trailer loads of dumped waste, call the Environment Line on 131 555.
If you see or are aware of illegal activity call the NSW Police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Your personal details will not be made public or passed on to the person responsible for the dumping.
What information do you need to report?
As a minimum you need the following details to make a report:
- description of the dumped waste, and if possible a photograph of the waste and the location.
If possible record these details in writing and keep them to help with any follow-up investigation.
Further details will help. If you can, describe:
- the land use and surrounding land use
- risks or possible risks to the environment or human health
- the weather
- any details or features that may identify the source of the waste (such as vehicle description or registration number, description of person/s).
- any other information or details