• Level 2 Water Restrictions

    As a region we're experiencing the lowest water levels in our dams in over two decades. Level 2 water restrictions apply to all properties connected to Hunter Water's water supply network in the Cessnock Local Government Area.

    Cessnock, Lake Macquarie, Maitland, Newcastle, Port Stephens, Dungog and small parts of Singleton.View a map of our area of operations

    Read More

What's On

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Personal Details 

  • How do I change my address?
    Print and Fill out this Change of address form, then email, post or drop the form into Council's Customer Service counter. 


  • A tree has fallen over the road?
    You can log a Customer Request online via our e-Services Portal, or contact Customer Service on telephone 02 4993 4100 with the location details and they will create a request to have it removed.
  • I have found a pothole that needs patching?
    You can log a Customer Request online via our e-Services Portal  Call Customer Service on 4993 4100 and they will put in a request to get it fixed.
    Or you can log a Customer Request though our E-Services Portal
  • I want to know where I can ride my unregistered Motorbike?
    Check out this factsheet
  • I see a car doing “burnouts”, “donuts”, “drifting” or street racing in my neighbourhood?
    The appropriate agency to deal with hooning is the NSW Police Force. More Information


  • I want to book the Performing Arts Centre for an event or meeting?
    Contact the Centre Coordinator on 4993 4266 or
  • I want to know if the sporting fields are open in bad weather?
    Check out our Closures Page or contact Customer Service on 4993 4100
  • I want to contact the Cessnock Airport?
    Enquiries should be directed to Council's Airport Coordinator on 0401 107 557

Building and Development


  • My garbage hasn't been collected?
    Call Customer Service on 4993 4100 and ask to speak to Works and Infrastructure to Log a call
    Or you can log a Customer Request through our E-Services Portal
  • Garbage has been spilt on the road?
    Call Customer Service on 4993 4100 and ask to speak to Works and Infrastructure to Log a call
    Or you can log a Customer Request through our E-Services Portal
  • My Garbage bin has been vandalised?
    Stolen or vandalised bins must be reported to the Police Assistance Line on 131 444. A Police Incident Report Number is required by Council before a replacement bin can be issued.
  • My Garbage bin is broken?
    Damaged bins are repaired free of charge, call Customer Service on 4993 4100 to arrange a repair.
    Or you can log a Customer Request through our E-Services Portal
  • My garbage collection day falls on a holiday?
    Collection is as normal on all public holidays except for Christmas Day, Good Friday and Council Picnic Day, in which case the collection is usually the day after. Recycling collection variations may be different please contact Hunter Resource Recovery on 1800 838 884 for clarification.

Health and Environment

  • I have bought a house with a septic system?
    Please read the following Information on Septic Systems
  • I have seen someone dumping rubbish?
    Please note their registration and call Customer Service on 4993 4100 
  • I no longer need my Septic System?
    This flyer will tell you your options

Council Meetings and Councillors

Animals and Pets

  • I have lost my cat/dog?
    If you contact Customer Service they can flag your pet as lost in the animal register, 
  • I have bought a new pet and need to register it?
    All pets need to be registered this can be done at Council
  • My neighbour has a barking dog?
    Have a look at this Information about Barking dogs and then contact Customer Service on 4993 4100 to lodge a complaint if it problem is ongoing
  • I have found an animal dead on the roadside?
    Contact Customer Service and they will send out a road crew to collect the animal. If the animal is a cat or dog, they will attempt to get a microchip number and notify the owner.

Neighbourhood Noise

  • I think my neighbours are making too much noise at night or early morning?
    The Environment Protection Agency website has information about Dealing with Neighbourhood Noise.
  • I want more information regarding noise issues in my neighbourhood?
    The Environment Protection Agency has a comprehensive website with practical advice on dealing with noise issues.
  • I want to start mowing on a Saturday or Sunday morning?
    Mowers and Power tools can't be started until 7am Saturdays and weekdays, 8am Sundays, they must be stopped at 8pm every evening. For more information check the above websites from The Office of Environment & Heritage.