Williams Bridge to stand strong for another century!

Cessnock City Council has officially opened Williams Bridge on Paynes Crossing Road, Wollombi following works earlier this year to replace the old structure.

Cessnock City Council has officially opened Williams Bridge on Paynes Crossing Road, Wollombi following works earlier this year to replace the old structure.

Cessnock City Mayor, Councillor Bob Pynsent welcomes the completion of the works after significant deterioration to the old bridge resulted in a five tonne load limit and a 40km/h speed restriction.

“Council made the decision to accelerate the replacement of Williams Bridge due to the issues arising from restricted access".

“The upgrade is great news for the entire community. The improved access to this remote area will be particularly beneficial to local road users and emergency vehicles”.

"We would also like to thank the community for their cooperation and patience during the construction phase",Cr Pynsent said.

This marks a new era for the bridge which is named after a local family who can be traced back more than 100 years.

James Bruce Williams was born at Cockfighters near Wollombi in 1875 and married Isobella Leslie born at Wollombi in 1872. They were married in 1898 at St Marks in Laguna and built a slab house at Paynes Crossing which is still standing today.

Crossing the Wollombi Brook was no easy task for the family whose main form of transport was a horse and cart.

Today the crossing looks very different with the new 33m reinforced concrete bridge precast in quality controlled conditions to ensure a 100 year lifespan. The load limit and speed restriction has also been removed.