New Online Registration for Combustible Cladding
Under new regulations, which commenced on 22 October 2018, property owners, including government authorities and councils, are required to check for external combustible cladding and register applicable buildings with the NSW Government via the Cladding Regulation Online Registration System.
The new registration requirement applies to buildings of two storeys or more that are:
- apartment buildings
- other accommodation (e.g. hotels, boarding houses, backpackers, student accommodation
- aged-care or healthcare buildings, hospitals, clinics or day surgeries
- public assembly buildings, such as theatres, cinemas, schools and churches.
- single dwellings within one of these buildings (e.g. a caretaker’s residence inside an aged-care facility or school).
The regulation does not apply to houses, offices, shops, warehouses, carparks, factories and other commercial buildings, but may do so in the future.
Owners of existing buildings (i.e. those occupied before 22 October 2018) must register online before 22 February 2019.
For new buildings (i.e. first occupied after 22 October), the deadline for registration will be four months after the building is first occupied.
For more information, see the following:
- NSW Government Fire Safety and External Wall Cladding Taskforce
- FAQs for apartment and building owners
- FAQs for councils
- Building System Circular for building owners, industry practitioners and councils
- Combustible Cladding Regulation.
© State of New South Wales and Department of Planning and Environment 2018