2020 Mayoral Scholarships now open
Cessnock City Council is proud to announce the Mayoral Scholarships are now open for residents looking to build a career and further their education in 2020.
There are nine scholarships up for grabs valued at $2,500 each and students can use this extra funding boost in any way they like to help them in their studies.
To be eligible, students need to be currently enrolled at TAFE or university and be residents of the Cessnock Local Government Area (LGA). Students from the Cessnock LGA who live outside the area to study are also eligible to apply.
Cessnock City Mayor, Councillor Bob Pynsent said this program is fantastic and offers a number of scholarships for a variety of areas.
“I encourage anyone who is looking to further their studies to apply for one of these scholarships. We understand textbooks, travel or tools can be very costly and $2,500 can take some of the pressure off and allow students to focus on their study.”
The following scholarships are available:
1. Building & Associated Trades sponsored by The Rotary Club of Cessnock (those studying Plumbing, Bricklaying, Carpentry Architecture etc. at TAFE or a Bachelor of Surveying, Engineering, Construction Management, Science etc. at university)
2. Local Government sponsored by Kurri Kurri Retired Mineworkers Association (those studying to become a Planner, Engineer, Accountant, Recreational and Community Planner, Environmental Scientist, Cultural Services Officer, Media Officer etc.)
3. Hospitality & Tourism John Knipe Memorial sponsored by Cessnock Leagues Club
4. Mining sponsored by Cessnock Retired Mineworkers
5. Mining/Technical Engineering sponsored by Austar Coal Mine (those studying Mining, Electrical, Mechanical, Process/Chemical, Geology or Geotechnical Engineering etc.)
6. TAFE sponsored by Solo Resource Recovery (those studying at TAFE in any field)
7. Post HSC sponsored by Hunter Resource Recovery (for those who have graduated in the last two years and are currently studying at TAFE or university)
8. Undergraduate sponsored by Hunter Resource Recovery (for undergraduate students in any field of study)
9. Undergraduate Merv Mahon Memorial sponsored by Northern District Retired Mineworkers Association (for undergraduate students in any field of study).
Applications close on Monday 2 March 2020.
For more information and to apply online visit www.cessnock.nsw.gov.au/council/mayor/scholarships.