Last chance to apply for Mayoral Academic Scholarships!
Cessnock City Council is putting out the final call for students to apply for the 2018 Mayoral Academic Scholarships as applications close this Friday 9 March.
There are eight scholarships up for grabs valued at $2,500 each AND students can use this extra funding boost in any way they like to help them in their studies.
To be eligible, students need to be currently enrolled at TAFE or university and be residents of the Cessnock Local Government Area (LGA). Students from the Cessnock LGA who live outside the area to study are also eligible to apply.
Cessnock City Mayor, Councillor Bob Pynsent said encouraging and supporting a young person to further their education benefits both the individual and their family.
“Students studying at university or TAFE can often find it difficult managing work and study commitments. Receiving this extra support can make a real difference, taking the pressure off and enabling the student to focus on their studies.”
The following scholarships are available:
1. Building & Associated Trades sponsored by The Rotary Club of Cessnock (those studying Plumbing, Bricklaying, Carpentry Architecture etc. at TAFE or a Bachelor of Surveying, Engineering, Construction Management, Science etc. at university)
2. Local Government sponsored by Kurri Kurri Retired Mineworkers Association (those studying to become a Planner, Engineer, Accountant, Recreational and Community Planner, Environmental Scientist, Cultural Services Officer, Media Officer etc.)
3. Hospitality & Tourism John Knipe Memorial sponsored by Cessnock Leagues Club
4. Mining sponsored by Cessnock Retired Mineworkers
5. Mining/Technical Engineering sponsored by Austar Coal Mine (those studying Mining, Electrical, Mechanical, Process/Chemical, Geology or Geotechnical Engineering etc.)
6. TAFE sponsored by Solo Resource Recovery (for students currently studying at TAFE in any field)
7. Post HSC sponsored by Hunter Resource Recovery (for those who have graduated in the last two years and are currently studying at TAFE or university)
8. Undergraduate sponsored by Hunter Resource Recovery (for undergraduate students in any field of study).
For more information and to apply, visit www.cessnock.nsw.gov.au/council/mayor/scholarships or contact Gina Radford on 4993 4210 if you have any questions.