What's On

Public Roads

Fast Facts

Welcome to Cessnock City Council's Public Roads page.  This page will provide you with information about activities or doing work on or within a public road reserve in the Cessnock Local Government Area (LGA).  Cessnock City Council (CCC) aims to ensure that activities and work on our roads:

  • Are carried out safely
  • Minimise impact on traffic, and
  • Maintain valuable public assets.

Road Reserve

The public road reserve extends from private property boundary to boundary and includes the carriageway, road shoulders, verges, nature strips, gutters, and footpaths.

Work is currently being undertaken in the Public Road Reserve by the NBN Co. 
For issues arising from the roll out of the NBN in the Cessnock LGA, feedback may be provided directly to the NBN Co at us

(NSW) Roads Act 1993

Approval is required when carrying out an activity or doing work within a road reserve.   Under the Roads Act, CCC is the Roads Authority for all roads in the Cessnock LGA.  CCC assesses applications for activities and work within the road reserve.

What Activities or Work Need Consent?

In the interest of public safety, and maintaining the condition of public assets all activities or works carried out in a public road reserve require approval, consent or a permit. The type of approval, consent, permit and application form to be used depends on which Section of the Act applies.

 Activity or Work:  Section of Act  Information and application form
Temporary closure
  • For certain road works
  • To regulate traffic for a Road Event
Temporary Activity
  • For festival, procession or entertainment
  • Fundraising activities
  • Parade or march Use of mobile facilities such as Mobile Blood Bank
 S116 Road Event / Activity Application Form
Road Event Information Kit
Footway Restaurant
  • Placement of tables and chairs
  • Umbrellas and the like
Footway Restaurant Application Form

Footway Restaurant Information Kit

Vehicle Access Crossing
  • Driveways
  • Access

Vehicle Access Crossing Application Form 

Vehicle Access Crossing Fact Sheet

Erection of Structure
  • Fixed furniture
  • Hoarding or scaffold
  • Some signs
 S138 Roads Act Application Form
Road Opening
  • Digging up the road surface
  • Laying underground pipes
  • Under boring
  • Tapping into water mains
  • Laying sewer or stormwater pipes
S138 Roads Act Application Form
Construction Works
  • Footpaths or cycle ways
  • Extending or constructing a lane, or widening road shoulders
  • Kerb and gutter, pits, lintels, or drainage infrastructure
  • Retaining structures
 S138 Roads Act Application Form
Construction Activities
  • Loading and unloading using mobile plant
  • Concrete pumps, agitators and the like
  • Swinging a hoist or crane over the road reserve
S138  Roads Act Application Form
Street Vending
  • Street stalls
  • Markets
  • Selling raffle tickets
  • Activities for advertising

Street Vending Application Form
Street Vending Information Kit

Road Event
  • Cycle race, run
 S144 Road Event / Activity Application Form
Road Event Information Kit
  • Filming activities involving lane or road closures
  • Filming from an adjacent vehicle
  For further information contact Screen Hunter
Vineyard Maps and Fingerboard Signs

Contact Council's Customer Service on 02 4993 4100

Application for Naming & Renaming of a Public Road

Application form

Applications for Temporary Road Events/Activities

Approved Wollombi Long Weekend Markets  27 January 2020, 13 April 2020, 5 October 2020 Paynes Crossing Road, WOLLOMBI  Event Map
Approved Kurri Kurri Nostalgia Festival 28 & 29 March 2020 Long & Barton Streets, KURRI KURRI Event Map
Submitted Wine Machine Music Festival 14 March 2020 Broke & McDonalds Roads, POKOLBIN Event Map
Submitted Lovedale Long Lunch 16 & 17 May 2020 Lovedale, Wilderness & Talga Roads, LOVEDALE Event Map

When Consent is Not Needed?

Consent is not required:

  • When all works, including loading and unloading using machinery such as backhoes, cranes, concrete trucks and the like are carried out wholly within the boundaries of private property,
  • Anything done under the provisions of the Pipelines Act 1967, or

  • Under any other provision of an Act, that expressly excludes the operation of Section 138.