• Draft Climate Change Policy to go on public exhibition
    In an effort to address the changing climate affecting the Cessnock Local Government Area, Council has developed a draft Climate Change Policy. The community are encouraged to provide feedback on the Policy during the public exhibition period. The draft Climate Change Policy will be on public exhibition from the 26 February until the 25 March 2020. 
    Read More

What's On

Straying Livestock

Straying livestock is a problem in rural areas, causing a nuisance to neighbouring property owners as well as a potential hazard to road users if the animals stray into traffic.

If you see livestock on the road or in a public area and you do not know the owner, please contact Council on 02 4993 4100. Rangers will refer to Council’s Stock Register and attempt to determine who may own the animals. Where necessary to ensure public safety, our Rangers will also attend the location and attempt to return the stock to the property from which they came.

If it is not possible to determine who owns the animals (or if it not possible to secure the animals), Council will proceed to impound the animals under the provisions of the Impounding Act 1993. Once impounded, livestock are held for a period of 7 days, with release fees applicable if the owner comes forward to claim the animal/s. If an owner does not come forward to claim them after this time, they are sold at a stock auction.

Council encourages landowners and owners of livestock to register their livestock with Council so in the case they do stray onto neighbouring properties or public roads, they can be promptly returned. It is free to register and all you have to do is simply call our Customer Service Team on 4993 4100 or email and ask to add your animals to the stock register.

Occupiers of private land can impound any animals that stray onto it under the provision of the Impounding Act 1993. If you know the owners of the livestock, you must notify them within 24 hours of impounding the animal/s. If the owner is not known or cannot be found, you are required to make arrangements to have the animals transported to Council’s Impound Facility at the RSPCA at Rutherford  Please contact Council on 02 4933 4100 and our Rangers can provide assistance in organising this.

You are reminded that as a landholder, you have a responsibility under the Protection of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986 to feed and care for any animals impounded on your land. You can recover any costs associated with the care of the animals; however, this is a civil matter which Council cannot enforce.

Local Land Services shares responsibility for stock health with the NSW Department of Primary Industries. If you see any stock that appears to be in ill health, contact Local Land Services or the RSPCA.