What's On

Disaster assistance


For residents requiring disaster assistance, please contact the below providers:

Council Requests

For complex issues a telephone call or counter visit remains the best approach, but for simple requests the most efficient way to register these is by emailing us

Financial assistance

Agency Overview
Justice Office of Emergency Management Natural Disaster Assistance Schemes
Centrelink (Department of Human Services) Disaster Recovery Allowance – to assist with short term income support payments. Australian Government Disaster
Recovery Payment – Disaster recovery Allowance
Disaster Welfare Services Provide disaster relief grants to eligible individuals and families whose homes have been significantly damaged or destroyed. Provide assistance for those with limited financial resources and no insurance.Disaster Assistance for Individuals
 NSW Rural Assistance Authority Provide assistance with concessional rate loans to those unable to obtain assistance through other channels. Rural Assistance Authority
 Farm Household Support Federal government Department of Human Services provides assistance to farmers and their families facing financial difficulties. Conditions apply. Farm Household Allowance

Food, utilities and clothing

Agency Overview Contact
Cessnock Samaritans Information & Neighbourhood Centre Cessnock Samaritans Emergency Relief Service. Short term emergency financial assistance including food and utilities vouchers. An assessment is required to determine eligibility. Appointments only
Ph: 4993 3400
Kurri Kurri Community Centre Kurri Food Cooperative. A membership cooperative supplying food and household goods at reduced cost to those who hold a health benefit card, receive a pension/benefit from Centrelink, or are in genuine need. Service may be available on certain days only. 4937 4555
St Vincent De Paul Cessnock Short term emergency financial assistance including vouchers and clothing. An assessment is required to determine eligibility. The service is based in Cessnock and an appointment is required. 1800 676 935
Salvation Army Short term emergency assistance, for example food items. 1300 371 288

Legal assistance and consumer services

 Agency Overview Contact
Legal Aid Provides free legal advice on a broad range of issues including dealing with insurance companies,
mortgage payments and tenancy advice. The service also visits the Cessnock Samaritans Information Neighbourhood Centre.

1300 888 529 or
4993 3400

NSW Fair Trading Provides assistance and advice to consumers and business on fair and ethical practice. 13 32 20
Law Access Law Access NSW is a free telephone service that provides information for legal problems and contact details for services that might be able to assist. 1300 888 529

Livestock and animals

Agency Overview Contact
Department of Primary Industries Provides assistance with livestock and other animals during the flood crisis. 1800 814 647


Agency Overview Contact
Family and Community Services Assistance with housing for those affected by the floods. 1800 486 746
Rentstart Bond Assistance Provides financial assistance for eligible clients to help them set up or maintain a tenancy in the
private rental market.
1300 468 746
Link2home (Department of Family and Community Services) Link2home provides assistance to people who are homeless or at risk of being homelessness by
offering access to specialised support and accommodation services.
1800 152 152

Business Assistance

Agency Overview Contact
Small business assistance Provide concessional rate loans to business who meet the eligibility. 1800 678 593
Small business assistance Practical face to face support from local Small Biz Connect advisors, tailored to individual business needs. 1300 134 359

Health and wellbeing

Agency Overview Contact
NSW Rural Mental Health Services Provide access to local mental health services 1800 201 123
Australian Red Cross Provide personal support to those affected by the floods 1800 812 028
Salvation Army To provide assistance to residents affected by the floods. 1300 363 622

Birth/death marriage certificates and drivers licences

Agency Overview Contact
Services NSW Services NSW will replace certificates and drivers licences at no cost to those affected by the floods. 137 788

WorkCover licences

Agency Overview Contact
WorkCover NSW  WorkCover will replace licences at no cost to those affected by the floods.  13 10 50

Motor vehicles

Agency Overview Contact
Office of State Revenue Motorists whose cars have been written off as a result of the floods, may be eligible for stamp duty relief on
their replacement vehicles. Conditions apply.
1300 139 814

Clearing Trees from My Backyard

Can I Clear Dangerous trees from my Backyard? Information Sheet from Hunter Local Land Services