Cessnock Under Construction
Cessnock City Council is taking the first step towards our vision for a new and improved Cessnock CBD. Council is undertaking works which will deliver a staged implementation of Cessnock CBD Master Plan and subsequent Cessnock Commercial Precinct Project.
This project proposes to enhance Cessnock CBD as an attractive place to visit, with features that appeal to visitors and locals alike. These include thriving retail opportunities, easy access to car parking and well connected, visually appealing public spaces. The new CBD will feature interpretive signage, cycling opportunities and improve pedestrian accessibility.
View a timeline of the project here including the background and history of the project.
Planned works to the Cessnock CBD will inevitably cause disruptions to both pedestrians and local businesses. Council is committed to keeping the community up to date throughout the project and thanks the community for their patience during the works.
The project is funded by grants from:
- The Australian Government’s National Stronger Regions Fund
- NSW Governments Restart NSW – Resources for Regions program.
The grants are matched by funds from Council’s Capital Works Program.
If you're a business owner and want to know more visit Advance Cessnock.
Works are progressing well in the Cessnock CBD. Crews are continuing to finalise the works including signage, line markings and the pavement upgrade.
As of Friday 1 November 2019 the following traffic conditions are in place in Cooper and Charlton Streets, Cessnock:
- STOP sign control applying to westbound vehicles on Cooper Street, west of Charlton Street, to enable eastbound vehicles to perform a U-turn and access the Cessnock City Centre off Cooper Street (Vehicles Under 6m Only)
- Existing access to the Cessnock City Centre off Cooper Street for westbound vehicles retained
- Limited two-way travel returned to Cooper Street between Charlton and Vincent Streets
- One-way north bound travel on Charlton Street, south of Cooper Street
- One-way north bound travel on Charlton Street, north of Cooper Street
- STOP sign control applying to northbound vehicles on Charlton Street at the intersection of Cooper Street
A 10 km/h Road Works Speed Limit prevails. Pedestrian access is being maintained at all times throughout construction. For safety, location of walkways will be determined by site management on a daily basis.
These works are part of Stage 1.1. Click here to see a map of Stage 1.1 works.
A number of projects are planned to achieve the vision set out under the Cessnock CBD Master Plan. These include the following:
|Project||Location||Status||Traffic Management/ Community Update|
|1. CBD Wayfinding||Constructed|
|2. Improve walking path access from CBD to Bridges Hill Park||Cumberland Street||
|3. Upgrade Bridges Hill Park Playground||Under Construction||Bridges Hill Community Updates|
|4. Install Bike Parking||Vincent Street||Constructed|
|5. Upgrade of Cooper and Charlton Street||Cooper and Charlton Streets||
|North Avenue and Keene Street||
Under Construction Traffic Facilities
Plan of works Lighting design in progress.
|6. Connection of Charlton Street South between Hall Street and Aberdare Road||Charlton Street (South)||Under Construction
|Minor traffic disruptions. Plan of works|
|7. Pedestrian link from CBD to Wollombi Road||Charlton Street||Design in Progress||Community Update|
|8. Upgrade Vincent Street laneways||Vincent Street||
Design in Progress Early
|Disruption to pedestrian access. Laneway Location Map|
|9. Create Link over Drainage Channel (to Cessnock Market Place)||Charlton Street||Design in Progress|