All funeral directors carrying out works in Cessnock City Council cemeteries must be licensed by Cessnock City Council.
These licences are valid for 12 months and are issued at the beginning of each financial year.
Funeral directors applying for a licence must provide the following paperwork:
- Application for Licence to Work in Council Cemeteries
- Certificate of Currency or Public Liability Insurance (to the value of $10,000,000.)
- Cemetery Contractor Checklist
- Safe Work Method Statements
- Toolbox Checklist
- A copy of Construction Green Card for EACH employee who will be visiting/working on the site
Once a funeral director is licenced by Cessnock City Council, and wishes to carry out a burial in one of Council’s cemeteries, they must fill out an Application for Burial Permit Form. This form must be completed for each individual burial and must be submitted to Council at least 48 hours before the burial is to take place.
Council will then issue a Permit for Burial (within 24 hours of receiving the Application) – this is authorisation for the burial to go ahead.
Once the burial is complete, the funeral director must sign the Permit for Burial and fax it back to Council within 24 hours to confirm that the burial has taken place in accordance with Council’s instructions.
If you require any further information about these processes, please contact Council’s Cemetery Team on 4993 4220.