Aberdare and Gordon Williams Memorial Lawn Cemetery
The Gordon Williams Memorial Aberdare Cemetery is located Greta Street, Aberdare. The original monumental cemetery at Aberdare is divided into denominational portions and contains monuments dating from 1909. Many of the inscriptions record the accidental deaths of miners employed at coal mines in the district. The site now embraces a large lawn cemetery that includes columbaria and gardens for the location of ashes.
Gordon Williams Memorial Lawn Cemetery upcoming works
We will commence work to expand Gordon Williams Memorial Lawn Cemetery in Aberdare on Monday 14 August, with work expected to be completed by October, weather depending.
These works form part of the 2012 Masterplan which was developed in close consultation with the community to ensure the site met the future needs of our region.
The expansion of the site will include an extension of the lawn cemetery, construction of an internal roadway, associated drainage works and landscaping.
While there will be no disruption to existing internments and burial plots, access may be limited during some of the works and this will be well communicated to cemetery visitors.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Lyall Green via phone 02 4993 4103 or email Lyall.Green@cessnock.nsw.gov.au.
General Cemetery Denominations:
- Roman Catholic
- Salvation Army
Greta Street, Aberdare NSW 2325
Search inscriptions and photographs on Australian Cemeteries Index - Aberdare
For further information contact Council’s Cemetery Officer on (02) 4993 4220 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lawn Cemetery Tributes
Council has adopted a Cemetery Strategy that outlines the placement of tributes at Lawn Cemeteries.
Council has installed signage at both lawn cemeteries advising the community of the terms and conditions associated with interments in the lawn cemeteries. These conditions are also outlined in Council’s Conditions of Burial Rights signed by grantees when applying for a burial right or for the placing of ashes within Council’s cemeteries.