What's On

Companion Animals

Companion Animals

Looking after your pet

Council’s Ranger Services team is friendly and helpful. Their aim is to help animal owners take proper care of their pets.

Attach an ID tag to your pet’s collar, stating the pet’s name and owner’s contact phone number. Keep your pet off the streets and your neighbour’s property. Provide your pet with food, water, shelter, veterinary car and most of all, time and companionship.

If your pet is missing, immediately contact Cessnock City Council’s Customer Service on 4993 4300 to inform our friendly staff that you have lost your pet. Also you can contact the RSPCA on 4939 1574.

It is advisable to lock your cat up at night to prevent your cat from attacking other animals. Studies have revealed cats that are kept in at night live longer.

For further information on keeping your cat safe and sound contact Council on 4993 4300

Control your pet

Don’t let your pet bother your neighbours by barking or being a nuisance. Obedience training can correct many behaviour problems.

Further information on barking dogs can be found in the brochure provided by the EPA Dealing with barking dogs which can be found on Council’s website.

Did you know it is illegal to not Scoop your pets poop? Council provides free pooch pouches which are available from the Customer Service front desk.

Desex Your Pet

If your female cat or dog is on heat, do not allow her outside unsupervised. Better yet have your pet desexed. This will eliminate unwanted offspring.

Council rangers work closely with Hunter Animal Watch, who is a member of Animals Australia. Hunter Animal Watch operate a subsidised pet spay/neuter program to financially assist pensioners and the unemployed.

For more information go or call 4961 6133

Council's annual Free Microchip Day 

Cessnock City Council holds a free microchip day every April. It is a fun day allowing Cessnock residents to come and have their pets micro chipped and ask the friendly ranger team any questions regarding the keeping of their pets.

It is Compulsory to microchip all puppies and kittens by 12 weeks of age. Micro chipped animals are registered on the NSW Companion Animals Register. Owner information needs to be kept up to date. Contact Council if you need to change any details. 

Animal Registration

All dog and cat owners are now required to take two steps to protect their pet for life. Step one is permanent identification through micro chipping which can be done by your veterinarian, RSPCA or Council Rangers. Step two is lifetime registration through Council.

How Much Does Registration Cost?

Lifetime registration on the NSW Companion Animals Register is available form Cessnock City Council. This is a one off payment and the animal is registered for life.

As of 1st July 2014 the new charges will be effective:

  • $192.00 for undesexed dog or cat
  • $52.00 for desexed dog or cat
  • $52.00 for a dog or cat owned by a registered breeder that is kept for breeding purposes
  • $21.00 for a desexed dog or cat owned by a pensioner.

Microchip Number, Address, phone and contact details need to be provided in writing to Council.

Registration of your dog/cat is for its lifetime and the dog/cat must be microchipped before it can be registered.

 Why should I register my pet?

  • Often pets with registration are redeemed to their owners by Council rangers in the field instead of being detained at the Animal Care Facility which is the RSPCA at Rutherford.
  • It's the law

Draft Companion Animals Management Plan 2014 – 2017

The Companion Animals Management Plan addresses issues associated with companion animal ownership against the framework of Council’s legislative requirements under the NSW Companion Animals Act 1998. Draft Companion Animals Management Plan 2014 – 2017.

Walking your dog

Can I exercise my dog off its lead?

Golden LabradorDogs are required to be restrained while in a public place with the exception of prescribed dog exercise areas. These areas are:

Leash Free Areas

While dogs are allowed on these reserves unleashed, their owner remains liable for prosecution if the animals attack another person or dog or cause a nuisance to people.

Dogs allowed to run loose and unsupervised are major problems for residents and Council. They cause considerable work for Council, and irresponsible dog owners are finding themselves facing substantial fines and/or court action as a result of not controlling their pets properly.

On-the-spot fines are issued for an unregistered dog or unleashed dog, or for a dog found defecating in a public place, and the owner fails to clean up after the animal.

Tabby KittenWhat can I do about a barking dog?

Council often gets complaints about barking dogs. This matter is dealt with under the State Environmental Offences and Penalties Act and can carry an on-the spot fine. Council may also issue a "nuisance order" against your dog under the Companion Animals Act, and if it continues to bark this may attract a fine.

Sometimes all that is required is for the dog owner to be told that their dog is causing a nuisance. Unfortunately this is often not the case and in many cases the dog owner doesn’t believe that there is a problem.

To address the problem we need some information from you including the address of where the dog lives. Should you experience problems with a barking dog in your neighbourhood, please contact Council’s Customer Service on 4993 4300 to lodge a complaint.   

Further information